Saturday, July 18, 2026

Hummingbird Gulch Loop CW v Teepee - 7/16/26

Angel Peak from the center of Hummingbird Gulch

View from the bottom of Hummingbird Gulch

Hummingbird Gulch Spring

Old Deer Creek Road
This hike is somewhat a reverse of the short loop that includes Hummingbird Gulch and the North Loop. Starting from Robbers Roost, the hike begins by crossing Deer Creek Road and turning left. Soon, a trail turns down to the left. Follow this trail that will take you into the forest above the road. There are many use trails but, suffice it to say, try to stay parallel to the road until you are able to drop down to the Old Deer Creek Road. This will take you to where the Hummingbird Gulch Trail turns up to the right. Don't let the easy shaded trail fool you. Soon, this gentle trail comes out into the middle of the gorge with towering cliffs on either side. I found the trail to be clear in most places. And, a few cairns helped out along the way. For the most part, the trail climbs up through the gulch on the right side of the gorge. Since I have been through this gorge several times now, I wasn't sure if the trail was telling me where to go or if I was judging the route by landmarks. A little of both, I think. There are sections of steepness and sections of reasonable climbing. The scree was ever present but helpful at times.

View into Hummingbird Gulch from Old Deer Creek Road

Entrance Trail near Campsite

First Climb

Many fossils dot the stones in the Wash
 About halfway up, there are limestone slabs poking through the trail. Look for many small seabed fossils through there. Nearing the dry fall, which is essentially the top, the trail offers a turn to the right. You can also do the traditional veer to the left. The left wades through a lot of brush so, just this once, I took the right turn. Never again! It is very steep and slippery. From previous experience, the left turn isn't so bad if you can decipher the trail under the brush. This trail takes you to the base of the dry fall. Then, make your way up to the right and climb a very steep grade up and over to your left. You'll see where a trail has been worn. Views are good here. Finally, drop down to the left and hike around to the right. 

Trail climbing up next to the Wall

Slab area on Trail

View down center of Gulch (Showgirl Ridge in Mid-Background)

Trail up through Scree
Next, the spring area appears. On this hike, there was a lot of water. More than usual anyway. Keep following a trail up through the canyon however you can. If you want, you can climb up to your right and visit an overlook. Finally, back in the canyon wash, follow the use trails that wind in and out of the center of the wash and continue to look up on the right side. On this hike, I chose to climb an area of scree even though I knew there was an easier climb out further up. It's up to you. However, the Teepee Trail that follows along the rim above is not easy to find. Coming up in the scree, I was able to find the trail because I have been there before and knew the landmarks. Perhaps you can find the trail because it follows along the rim about 50'-100' away. I came up where there is a mess of dead trees that had fallen a few years back. The trail stumbles along above the tree mess. But, don't get too far away from the rim. You will find the teepee about 50' from the cliffs.

Familiar Landmarks

View from top of Dry Fall

Hummingbird Gulch spring Pool

Scree Climb
At the teepee, make a 90 degree turn to the left. A vague trail will take you in parallel down about 100' from the cliffs to your right. These cliffs hover above the Robbers' Roost slot and wider area. There is an overlook that you can hike over to as you make your traverse over to the North Loop Trail. Connect with the North Loop and turn right (down). Later, I hiked into the trailhead parking, continued down the road and into the overflow parking. A few bike trails have popped up leading down the hill from the overflow parking to two different trails below. To reach the Pixie Trail, go to the last "trail" on the right and descend while veering to the left. This will take you to the Pixie. 

Mummy's Toe from scree Climb

Reaching the gulch rim to find the Teepee Trail

Approach to the Teepee

View near Robbers' Roost Overlook
If you veer to the right to follow the bikes, it will take you to a steeper trail with a drop at the end. I did that on this hike and did not enjoy it! On another day, I was able to connect with the Pixie, by veering left, and waltzed easily down to the Old Deer Creek Road (Gypsy) to turn right.  In familiar territory, the old road took me down through the mahogany tree tunnel and Robbers' Roost. This hike is a very nice outing.

Stats: 5 miles: 1520' gain; 4.25 hours

Top of Robbers' Roost Slot Canyon

Descending the North Loop Trail

Descending an unfamiliar bike trail between Bridges and Pixie






No comments: