Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Cabin / Camp 84 Exploratory - 9/7/26

View to desert foothills from Camp 84

Slue at Ada & Edith Mine

Hiking up through Elks Club Wash

Mummy Mountain & Lee Peak from Nutans Road
I know it has been a while since I last wrote. Due to a serious injury to my husband's leg, (torn right quadriceps - a real oucher and looong recovery), I am exercising in a different way taking care of him and the house. However, we have come to a point where I can sneak out for a small hike once in a while. 

My brother visited last week. He is a big hiker in a club back east. He brought his club hikers to an ambitious week in Bishop and was able to stay with us for a few days. 

So, being Labor Day, he and I did an exploratory hike in an area I have been working on for several years. (One day, I hope to have this area understood! ... Or, not.) We parked at the Cattle Grate Trailhead on Lee Canyon Road just up from the Deer Creek Road junction. Crossing the road, we dropped into the bottom of Elks Club Wash and climbed up to where a small mine road (Nutans Road) crossed the wash. Turning right onto the mine road, we climbed up to investigate the remains of part of the Ada & Edith Mine. I tried continuing along the hill to see if there was a good way to get to the cabin from there and I managed to drop down to Nutans Road that leads to the cabin. After showing Tim the cabin, we continued along the mine road and passed another adit of the mine and climbed up to the ridge above. Here, is where I tried ... again ... to find a decent way to get to Camp 84. Following all kinds of game trails, we eventually ended up on the Camp to Spring Trail and climbed on up to Camp 84.

Tim on road to Cabin (Settle down girls! He's taken!)

Inside Ada & Edith Cabin (Careful! Rotted planks!)

Terrain with many game trails at Ridge

Migrating Pelicans (I promise!)

After taking our break at the old camp, we returned down the Camp to Spring Trail and took a left fork up to the ridge. It wasn't a straight shot. Again, we ended up on various game trails and had to climb steeply up in the end. Finally, on familiar territory, we hiked on over to Horse Peak then took a dive down the long scree descent to Elks Club Wash. Down the wash, we found the connector to Nutans Road and finished our descent to the car. It was a great workout and I really enjoyed hiking with my brother, as usual.

Stats: 4.8 miles; 1725' gain; 5 hours

View from Camp 84 to Horse Canyon and Onyx Peak

Mummy Mountain from ridge above Cabin

Descending Nutans Road from Elks Club Wash Connection

Disregard the lighter blue Track



No comments: