Sunday, July 26, 2026

Pump House Ridge Loop - 7/25/26

Pump House from Approach

Lee Peak, Rocketship, and Charleston Peak from second saddle of Pump House Ridge

McFarland Peak from Bonanza near Pump House Ridge Junction

Rock-lined Old Mill Trail
Last summer, Susan, Sue and I debuted a new hike called Pump House Loop. We have only heard from three hikers that took the bait and tried the hike. Yes, it is a tough one! So, I decided to do it again ... feeling good ... and, needing some cool air ...  I was very pleased with the outcome. Last year, I tried to use horse trails in the area and I must say, those horses tend to wander. This year, I was not distracted by the lure of pre-made game trails and I decided to just climb Pump House Ridge straight up balancing on top of the ridge. This worked out great as I will describe below. I parked my car at the Lee Canyon traffic circle trailhead (aka the Pay Phone TH) and hiked up the Old Mill Picnic Area paved road. I veered right onto the Old Mill Trail to hike the rock-lined path. When the South Sister Trail took off to the right, instead of following either trail, I headed for the hill that ascends from the triangle that the two trails make straight ahead.

The Pump House

Photo showing steep scree slope of Pump House Ridge

Second saddle of Pump House Ridge

Continuing up from second Saddle
This is the base of Pump House Ridge. There is somewhat of a trail that leads straight up and soon runs beside a small old building. This is the pump house that was used for the old mill in the area and, no doubt, the small foreman's house whose foundation lies nearby off of the South Sister Trail below. Since I had photographed the pump house thoroughly last year, I took a couple of photos and continued up the ridge behind it. The steepness arrives quickly ... which is why, last year, I drifted off to the right to follow a horse trail on a traverse. This time, I just kept straight. The views of Lee Peak, Rocketship and Charleston Peak were there to the left. Between the peaks and the ridge, you could see the Bonanza Trail ridge (Spring Mountain Divide). The hike's work was there to see.

"Halfway House" on third Saddle

Overlook at "Halfway House"

Decor at fourth Saddle

Junction with Bonanza Trail
There are four well-earned saddles on this steep scree-filled ridge. The first saddle appeared soon with a dead rotting tree lying lengthwise in the dip. This saddle was missed last year by following a lengthy horse trail zigzag. Next, I found myself climbing steeply up to a rock outcrop. Now that I have tried circling this peak on both sides, I can confidently say that the best way to go around is on the right. The left side is quite convoluted and I could tell that the horses think the same thing! After the small rocky peak, the ridge curves to the left and another saddle appears with a majestic dead tree rising tall in front of the peaks on the left side. The next climb is probably the steepest. Last year, I found a horse trail that goes around the third saddle and on to the fourth. Mistake! That third saddle is the most beautiful! There is an old wrecked lean-to that was built there and, nearby, an overlook reached out on an outcrop with a 270 degree view. A wonderful place to build a house! And, since this is about halfway up the ridge to the Bonanza Trail, I named it the Halfway House. Onward and upward, the fourth saddle arrived with a gorgeous dead tree lying across it with Charleston Peak there in the background.

Nearing area of South Sister Saddle Ridge Junction with Bonanza Trail

Beautiful area of South Sister Saddle Ridge Junction with Bonanza Trail

Initial descent from Bonanza Trail

Macks Peak from descent of South Sister Ridge
The last hill before the Bonanza Trail ridge, was long and arduous. Surprises appeared no longer and an actual trail began leading the way. The junction happened just before one of my favorite places on the Bonanza Trail ... the bare spot with old bristlecone snags. Turning right, the South Sister Saddle Ridge junction was not far. Many of us know this junction and the trail turns off to the right quite clearly. I descended the trail without mishap and dropped down to the break spot that many of us use. As I sat for a rest with views in surround sound, I heard a chain saw in the distance. My supposition was that "they" were working on Macks Canyon Road down below where it has been closed for about 3-4 years. Idk. It needs to be done. Anyway, before I reached the South Sister Saddle, the noise was quieted along with a motorcycle trailing away. Here, the real descent begins. The trail is steep and slippery and has been for many years. I descended just about as slow as I had ascended on the Pump House Ridge!

Mummy Mountain from South Sister Ridge Descent

Beautiful descent to South Sister Saddle

Descending the South Sister Trail from Saddle

Shaded Descent
Regardless, at least this part of the descent only lasted for around a third of a mile. The remaining South Sister Trail is extremely pleasant with shade and a bit more flatness. Always on the lookout for wild horses in this area, I saw none. (However, I did see a deer up near the Bonanza Trail.) As I reached the lower portion of the descent, I peeked up to the right. I could not see the Pump House but knowing it was there changed how I thought while hiking here. More history! More thoughts of people working. More thoughts of workers milling about. (Pun intended!)

Stats: 5.5 miles; 1600' gain; 4.25 hours

Shady pleasant Section

Descent next to Wash

Emerging from the forest and into the glade at Old Mill Trail



This track was taken last year with the "distractions" of the horse trails.




No comments: