Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Africa Loop (Valley of Fire) - 12/10/19

Approach to Fire Wave

Purple Rocks at the Pinnacles

White Domes from Parking TH #3

First Pause
Brian Dodd's Africa Loop hike in the Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada was debuted in February of 2017. Today, thirteen brave hikers took on the second rendition of same. "So Brian, are we still going though the Drop Slot? It has rained a lot lately. It might be full of water." Brian replies, "Oh the Drop Slot never has water in it." Hmm. We'll see. We parked at Parking Lot Trailhead #3 on the Valley of Fire White Domes Road. Dropping down on the Fire Wave Trail, we turned left instead of right when we reached the big red wall of the Rock of Gibraltar. We were off to a blistering pace around the wall and up through a small opening.

Facing Climb to Mesa
The following climb took us up to a ridge. After dropping through the next gulley, we climbed one more ridge and began dropping down into the Drop Slot funnel.

Mesa above Drop Slot
I was among some of the strongest hikers in the club! Yikes! My photos had to be fast and furious! Although Brian allowed me to stop the train by yelling "Photo" when I needed to.

Diving into Drop Slot Area

Chaos Ensues
I didn't want to stop everyone very often so I took my photos fast as we dropped down and down into the funnel that culminated in a narrow slot. The slot is no more than a foot or two wide in some places. Whoa! Yep! We hadn't even reached the actual Drop when we began meeting water up to 20 inches deep below our feet. This is where I learned the value of "chimneying." It is also where I learned that I can't chimney! Watching the hikers in front of me put their backs to one wall and their feet on the other wall, my knees began to hurt. It wasn't going to happen with these old ballerina legs. Believe me, I thought about it ... hard. Then, oh, what the heck! I stepped into the water taking the plunge. (Did you wonder how I knew exactly how deep the water was?) Brian allowed me to have the honors of being second in line for the Drop Slot so that I could get some photos of the others coming down. It dropped right into water. Honestly, I was fine with wading through. It sure was a lot easier. However, each and every one of the strong hikers behind me took the water filled narrow slot as a challenge. We had a barrel of fun watching everyone try not to get wet! But, one by one, all but one hiker (Rita) ended up with at least one foot completely wet! The last three feet across the water was really tough since the wall protruded a bit there.

Chimneying
But wait, there's more! So, we finally got everyone through the main drop and then there was ... more water. (See Mike below!)

Help!
While I was simply walking through the clear water, Brian was setting up a webbing from above. He was getting a little impatient with us as we laughed at ourselves whole-heartedly!

Swim or Climb the Rope

Rita climbs the Rope
The last big puddle (see photo above) was the deepest ... and the least clean looking. So, one by one, most of the hikers grabbed the offered webbing and climbed up the sloped rock slab with Brian hanging on with everything he had to the top end.

I must say! This is one of the most fun adventures I have been on with this group of hikers. It was certainly fun to watch everyone show their skills, strengths and weaknesses (me). So what if it took an hour to get through the Drop Slot area! I drained my shoes and sat in the sun while the last of the hikers made it up the rope.

Fishing for Hikers
Finally, we started down the wash. Not long after, we turned to the left and climbed the hill up to an area of colorful pinnacles. These are not the named pinnacles that are listed on the park maps.

Climbing up to Pinnacles
These are pinnacles that are far from the beaten path. Colors range from gold and yellow to pink and purple. At the top of the hill, we sat for our break in the sun.

Break at Pinnacles

Descending Wash from Pinnacles
After the break, we dropped down a neighboring wash to connect with a junction of the same wash we had left. This wash is the Kaolin Wash of the Fire Wave and slot canyon hike we call Three Slots. Still far from the familiar area of the Fire Wave, we hiked up the beautiful wash with one detour around pooled water. Next, we turned up to the left and climbed the hill making our way over to the Black Capstone hill. Another break was taken on the edge of the Black Cap. Then the route drops through another smaller slot and climbs up to the White Nipple, a pure white mound of silica rock as seen five photos below. We took our group photo on the white rock then crossed the desert directly toward the Fire Wave.

Climbing out of Wash to next Ridge
This last desert crossing has the view as seen in the first photo. Pastels as only the Valley of Fire can display.

Approach to Black Capstone
We climbed up past the Fire Wave and began to see other park visitors milling about. We didn't stop.

Black Capstone

Approach to White Nipple
Continuing up the hill, we hiked back along the Fire Wave Trail up to the cars. Why is it called the Africa Loop? Well, the shape of the GPS track is similar to the shape of the continent ....

The second half of the 5.5 miles was as impressive as it was 2.5 years ago. But the first half will be remembered for years to come! Thanks Brian!

5.5 miles; 1200 feet elevation gain; 4 hours; When we were fast, we were very fast! When we were slow, we were very slow!

Group Photo on White Nipple

Passing Fire Wave Area

Climbing back to Trailhead






2 comments:

Kay Blackwell said...

Kay:

The blog wouldn’t accept my ‘correction comments’, so I thought I’d just email you. First, just know that I love your blog and appreciate you and take no offense at anything you say about me…ever. However, I do want to set some facts straight…being the OCD person I am.

-The Africa loop hike actually debuted on Oct 16, 2013. Feb 2017 was just the last time we did it.
-That blistering pace was my normal ‘all day everyday’ pace…just less than 3 mph…and it was downhill. We should do a blistering pace together one day so you can see the difference.
-I actually wasn’t getting impatient. In fact, I was having fun sitting up there listening to all the laughing! I don’t think I’ve ever heard so much laughter on a hike before. It was great.

I love that second to last photo of us going toward Gibraltar rock…like going off into the sunset. The one of us as ants on Black Cap is great too. In fact there are several I love.

Thank you for doing this.

Love,

Brian

Kay Blackwell said...

Brian,

I’ll post your comment. I knew all of this and I’m sorry that I made it sound like you were indifferent. We all love your hikes and have gotten to know you well. This blog was just a little bit of teasing that you probably didn’t deserve. We had fun all over again telling others about the hike the next day. Be sure. I know you have many levels of “blistering” paces!

Love and respect, K