Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Blue Diamond Cactus Garden Morning - 10/22/18

Escarpment from Cactus Garden Ridge

Trail up to Cactus Garden

Cactus Garden

3 of 12 Burros
Today's hike was cancelled so I decided to go out and hike the Blue Diamond / Cottonwood Valley area on my own. I parked at the dirt lot just before going into Blue Diamond and started out the Landmine Loop. I didn't intend to do a blog so I didn't have my camera. I didn't intend to do anything I had not done before so I didn't bring my GPS. Well, I should have had both! It was an absolutely gorgeous morning and I found a trail that I had only done once very many years ago. So, after passing a wandering small tarantula and passing a herd of twelve burros (who expressed their distaste for me with a snort), I decided to start taking pics with my phone. I couldn't resist.

Trail up to Cactus Garden
The Landmine Loop took me around to a cut off trail that headed up the hill catty corner from the old Oliver Ranch. When I reached the top of the little corner, there was an obvious trail that I had not noticed before. So, I followed it!

South End of Escarpment
Could this be the trail that we had aimed for many years ago? As I climbed, I knew the trail was leading me in the direction of the Cactus Garden Crags. But, what I didn't expect was the beauty that it provided in views.

Cactus Garden View

Cactus Garden View
It's a great trail that I intend to do again and again. I climbed through the garden then took another unfamiliar trail along the ridge on the other side. I continued the hike on the Hurl Backdoor trail along the long ridge then took a left at the junction. I found a long sought after descending trail from the Hurl saddle and reconnected with the Landmine Loop after passing two old rusted VWs in the wash that I didn't know were there! When I got home, I could not see the first of the unfamiliar trails on Google Earth but I have approximated the stats below. Fantastic morning!

7 miles; 1200 feet elevation gain; 3 hours

Cactus Garden

1 of 3 Old Cars

A Second Old Car

No comments: